Greenwich Mean Time
- GMT is an abbreviation for Greenwich Meantime
- This is the time zone from which all other time zones are measured against. Other time zones will be either ahead (+) or behind (-) Greenwich Meantime. For example, Paris is GMT +1 hours. This means that when it is 12 noon in Greenwich, England, it is 1 PM in Paris. Los Angeles is GMT -8 hours. So when it is 12 noon in Greenwich, England, it is 4 AM in Los Angeles.
- Greenwich Meantime is also known as Greenwich Meridian Line as Greenwich Meantime is measured against the line at the Royal Observatory in Greenwich, England which is a borough (neighbourhood) of London.
- The Royal Observatory was created in 1675 to help sailors calculate time at sea.
- Greenwich Meantime is 0º longitude which is an imaginary line that goes from the North Pole to the South Pole.
- GMT is also known as UTC (Coordinated Universal Time) and Zulu Time. Zulu Time is also referred to as Z—Time which is an aviation time code.
|Get the Standard Time:|
|The Current Date Time is:||
25-May-2013 6:19 am
|Example using PHP:|
| Suppose if you want to get GMT of a country have +5:
$diff = 5; $offset = $diff*60*60; //converting 5 hours to seconds. $dateFormat = "d-M-Y g:i a"; echo $timeNdate = gmdate($dateFormat, time()+$offset);